Saturday, October 16, 2010

I Can Do All Things

Philippians 4: 10 - 20 (NIV): I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

In this passage, Paul is thanking the Christians in Philippi for sending him supplies while he was in prison in Rome. A man named Epaphroditus had brought them to him. Philippians is known as the letter of joy because Paul refers to being joyful sixteen times in these four short chapters. It's so interesting that Paul is so joyful and content while he's writing this, since he was in prison at the time.
But Paul had found the secret to being content in every circumstance, good or bad. He knew he had fabulous treasure because he had Christ. He said in chapter three that he considered every material possession he had "rubbish" (garbage) compared to knowing Jesus as his Savior. Remember, Paul had come from a wealthy family. We know this because of his education. So he meant it when he said he had had plenty - and he had had it all taken from him. Materialism leaves us empty; Christ fills us with joy. This is difficult for us Americans to grasp, but it is the secret to contentment.
When we lean upon our own strength or our own possessions, we are in for a bumpy ride, but when we lean upon Christ for our strength, we can find contentment, and we can accomplish things we never dreamed possible.
When we minister to others we have the privilege of being Jesus' hands, feet and voice. I've often said that if God wants to give me a hug, he uses your arms to do it. If God wants to encourage me, it just might come from your voice. God has left his ministry in our hands. We are "Jesus in the skin" when we minister to others.
Not only that, but when we give to others, we are giving to God himself. How do I give back to God? By giving to others. And God wants to bless us. We are his children and he loves us. He will take care of us as we take care of others. It's a wonderful circle of love, full of joy, and with no room for selfishness or materialism. Join the circle, be a blessing, and see if God will not bless you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment