Saturday, April 9, 2011

Motherhood, the Painful Privilege

Luke 1: 42 – 50 (NIV): In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me – holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.”

This occurred when Mary went to visit her cousin Elizabeth. Elizabeth was pregnant with John the Baptist and Mary was pregnant with Jesus. Elizabeth explains to Mary that John the Baptist had leaped within her womb when Mary approached. Elizabeth then praises Mary for believing that what God said was true.
Mary responds with what is known as the “Magnificat”, because that is the first word in the Latin translation of the passage. It is a poem or song praising God, the champion of the poor and oppressed.
Why was Mary favored of God? What was so special about her that she should be chosen as the mother of the Christ? She was pure in heart and in action. She was humble and obedient when God spoke. She praised God with her voice. And she believed – she had faith. These are the qualities we should honor, and I hope we do.
These qualities are so important because the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. A mother's influence cannot be denied. A mother who fears God will teach her children to do the same. She will see that they attend church and that they learn about God. She will praise God with her lips and not use them to curse her children. She will be humble before God, putting her trust in him for all things, even when it doesn't make sense or seems impossible. She will desire God's will for herself and for her family, as Mary did. In verse 38, she said “I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said.”
We live in a society that seems to celebrate young women who openly misbehave; who live a life far from faith in God. On this Mother's Day, let's celebrate the women among us who have a heart for God. Let's celebrate women who trust in him, who are pure in heart and action. Perfect? No, but righteous because of their faith in the one in whom they trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment